{Lifestyle} How To Plan Staycations

Monday, November 5, 2012


Yes, I'm on vacation in New Zealand at the moment, but there's nothing I love more than mid week getaways and staycations. And no one does staycations better than my blog friend Sara. I've invited Sara over today to share her tips on how to play the perfect staycation! Sara, thank you so much for being my guest xoxo
---

Bonjour tout le monde! My name is Sara and I'm an American living in the South of France blogging over at Sara in Le Petit Village. This past summer, instead of going on a vacation, my mother and some of her friends visited me from Texas, so while they vacationed, I staycationed, and Vanisha asked me if I would like to tell you about it.

{Marseille & The Count of Monte Cristo's Chateau d'If}
{Marseille - Notre Dame de la Garde}

Now I happen to be very lucky in that I live in a really cool place to staycation, but the great thing about staycationing is that it allows you to explore your city in a way that you normally might not (case in point... I lived in San Antonio, Texas for years and years and it took someone from Australia visiting me before I ever went to the Alamo.. and that's the Alamo for goodness sake!).

{Cassis & me}

{les calanques de Cassis}
First up I scoured through Lonely Planet for ideas (I'm a Lonely Planet  girl, but Fodor's and Frommer's are just as fantastic) and came away with a H U G E list of places to go and things to see. After a lot of thought and advice, I settled on the definitive list of destinations for my staycation.

{Arènes d'Arles}
And with the destinations chosen, I got busy with the second most important part of any vacation/ staycation... the food! I searched Tripadvisor for restaurants and started matching up the restaurants to the cities and lunches and dinners and my itinerary began to take shape.

{The 10-25 B.C. Arch of Glanum in Saint-Remy-de-Provence}
And of course, I turned to one of the best sources of ideas, suggestions, and inspiration... all of you. I posed the question on my blog; "What you like to do and see if you were staycationing in the South of France?" So many wonderful tips and bits of advice that I'll have to take another staycation, just to get through them all.

{Gordes}
{Gordes & Roussillon}

And that's that.

What about you?
Got any great staycation tips? 

34 comments:

  1. This is so funny!! I was au-pair in Cassis!! Couldn't believe it when I saw the pictures... les calanques des Cassis... Sarah and Sara. I hope you had a great time there as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to Marseille 2 years ago and loved it. Thanks for sharing this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. Would love to see Marseille and the rest of Southeast France someday. Been mostly to the Central and Western regions and any part of France is just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun post ladies! Thanks for sharing :)

    Vanisha, I hope you are having a wonderful time!

    xx
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh such lovely photos, I crave sun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun post!

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vanisha! hope you're having the loveliest and relaxing time in NZ. Thanks to Sara for this great guest post...I think when you live in a beautiful and breathtaking location as she does, staycations are so much fun and easy to achieve! The imagery is all breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my - the pictures are SO lovely! Can I join you??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, such incredible images!! Looks like a fabulous staycation. Great tips too, thanks for sharing.

    I'm about to move to a new city so will def use these ideas to get to know Singapore better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love these photos and am so jealous of your time there- i would love to visit too. xO!
    www.thehautecookie.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, I'm visiting over from Sara's blog...and am you r newest follower for two reasons...1) I went to Fiji last year and LOVED the people and 2) I am a fellow Aussie blogger. There are so few of us around, I feel like we all need to stick together. Hope you have a lovely time in NZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This just made me miss the Provence so very much!! You are right Sarah, in such a beautiful place it is easy to do a staycation!! Even if I normally prefer vacation :) Greetings from Melbourne, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty...hope you are enjoying your staycation!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great place to staycation - your photos are gorgeous, and it looks like you were able to soak up a lot of history and culture without having to travel far! Most of my staycations have traditionally involved napping, but now that I live in Paris, my approach to the staycation is changing drastically. For me, a staycation is all about discovering new things within a familiar place :)
    xox,
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! These photos are to die for! I think i need to look into staycations here for myself this Xmas...should be fun :)

    xo Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun on your vacation!!

    I need to do a better job at exploring my own town.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You couldn't have found a better place to have your staycation!! So gorgeous. I am loving all of the photos. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pictures! I've been there, and that place is gorgeous. Couldn't imagine a better place to staycation!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm pretty sure I could handle a staycation there! Thanks for sharing your post with us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful pictures. I've never really staycationed! I mean as an expat I think when you first move somewhere, those first few months are almost a staycation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whenever we have guests we treat it like a staycation--which makes each visit a little more special.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the idea of staycations - I haven't had the opportunity to host one very often but I think it's a great way to explore hidden treasures in your city that you may not have known existed,

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to this lovely lady I had loads of great tips on what to see and where to go when I went to Provence this summer. Thank you again, Sara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful pics!

    http://thestyleattitude.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I sadly love just staring at all the Yachts on the deep blue water and imagining their stories. Lame, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow! I've always wanted to go to Gordes and Roussillon. Never quite made it there but I will someday. We've been having plenty of staycations the past couple of years, thanks to our visitors. If it wasn't for them, we would still be pretty ignorant of our own backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You live in a really wonderful place it seems:) But isn't typical that you don't get to visit the famous places in your neighbourhood unless you have visitors?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really want to see where you live! I need a vacation!
    You girls both rock!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i lived in Aix-en-Provence and reading this made me so happy! i LOVE Cassis (soo beautiful!) Arles too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The photos are beautiful and what a great idea! We love when family and friends visit and we get to explore our city with them :)

    AwayFromTheBlue.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  31. you have such a beautiful life vanisha! I've been looking through your posts and you travel to the most amazing places. I've let out many loude 'sighs' looking at your blog. haha

    THank you for sharing your life!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've been lucky enough to be on a staycations for a few months now and love it! :) Even though I live in a not so exciting city by general standards, once you start getting out of your comfort zone, the possibilities are endless. My activities generally revolve around food and fitness (interesting combination, I know!). Would love to know more about your staycations Vanisha! xx

    ReplyDelete

The comments you leave on my blog are as great as getting letters in the mail. Thank You! I do ask that you not spam me with "follow me and I'll follow back" comments.

 

© Vanisha: A Life Un-Styled All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger